Last night, I’ve been asked with the question: “What are you doing as we get closer and closer to death?” It made me realize that we’re never distant from death. I mean, I’m now a couple seconds closer to dying than I was when I wrote the first sentence in this post. It’s just something no one really thinks about. We easily get influenced by the simple things in life that we become blinded with worldly values, stopping us from reaching our utmost potential towards success. In college, we ask ourselves: “Who am I? What am I doing here? Will I be successful? Why am I doing this? Etc.” But, truthfully, college doesn’t teach us those philosophical questions; instead, those ideas are mysteries we must discover ourselves. Life’s a journey after all, and college is just there to give us time to really ponder and decide upon our goals, aspirations, and dreams. We all have had those wistful desires of who we want to become (in character or as a person) with hopes that we’ll find a job in something we really love doing. But those individuals who actually make their dreams come true are the minority; in a survey, it is proven, statistically, that only about 13% of people say they love their jobs. That means the other 87% are spending 5/7 of their entire week hating what their doing solely for the happiness of the remaining 2/7. That’s not right, but why does this happen? You see, reality hits us and money becomes the issue. The world monopolizes us to believe that success leads to wealth. That having money leads to happiness. Sure, in my honest opinion, no doubt that we all need money to survive. For goodness sake, the college budget is already so expensive. However, I think success defines something deeper. Success shouldn’t be revolved around money. That shouldn’t be the goal. Success is much more honest. I think as long as you continue to strive for what you love, despite its hardships, you will be provided. It defines that you’ve finally reached your goals and dreams. Wealth should be just an incentive to your success, not a direct aspiration. Because in ten to twenty years from now, I want to look back and realize that I’m where I dreamed of being at a decade or two ago. In the near future, however, I understand that there are going to be obstacles. I just hope that during those hard times, I will have those who will tell me the opposite of what others will say. Because there are many who will listen, but only a few will give the proper advice and support. When I’m being pushed down, feeling failure and disappointment, I want someone to remind me of my dreams. That what I’m doing is for myself. But what if there are times in life where I fail? It’s just that my fear of failing gets to me…a lot. I guess, I just need to remember that if I embrace failure, God will open other doors, or opportunities, for me to try again. Since failure is only temporary, whereas quitting is permanent.
2 notes · #dreams #goals #life #text